Types of Filler used for Lips
The filler that is commonly used by our surgeons is a chemical quite similar to hyaluronic acid, which is a natural substance present in the body to keep skin hydrated and taut. The hyaluronic acid fillers commonly used for lip enhancement are Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm. Besides hyaluronic acid, collagen is the commonly used filler for lip augmentation. The fillers are not permanent lip augmentation solution and hence patients would not have to stick with their new lips. If the patient wishes to maintain the same lips then he or she will require top up every three to six months to maintain the volume and definition of the lips.
Lip Fillers Candidates
Lip fillers option to enhance the lip appearance suit every healthy and active person, who all have been experiencing following problems:
- Over the years the lips have lost definition
- Tired of using makeup to enhance pout and want something long lasting
- Lips not properly defined
- Want a more defined smile and shapelier lips
At the day of the lip augmentation procedure, the surgeon will discuss about the entire procedure in order to make the patient aware of the whole process and its consequences. Lips being highly sensitive, a topical numbing cream is applied on the lips before starting the filler procedure. The effect of the numbing cream starts after thirty minutes after which the lip filler solution is carefully injected into the lips using an ultrafine needle. After injecting the fillers through series of injections, the surgeon will massage the lips to evenly distribute the filler. The effort might be little uncomfortable but it is absolutely painless and the results are immediately visible.
Lip filler being a non-surgical treatment procedure does not have longer recovery time, although there are few side effects that take couple of days to completely subside. Some of the post-procedural cares suggested by the surgeon include:
- Use ice-pack to ease any discomfort or swelling on the lips
- Avoid pressing the lips as this can disfigure the lips
- Avoid applying lipsticks and lip balms immediately after the procedure
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight for at least a couple of weeks after the treatment